Champions for Sepsis
- 1.6 million Americans are diagnosed with sepsis each year—that’s one every 20 seconds
- 258,000 of them will die—more than prostate cancer, breast cancer and AIDS combined
- 85% of sepsis cases enter through the emergency department, and more than 1 in 5 are readmitted within 30 days
- Sepsis is the #1 cost of hospitalization, costing hospitals roughly $27 billion a year
- Only 55% of hospitals consistently follow best-practice sepsis guidelines
As an organization that cares for more than 3.3 million patients annually, American Physician Partners has the opportunity to dramatically impact sepsis outcomes. Toward that effort, we have established a Champions for Sepsis Committee that is responsible for identifying best practices and sharing them across our network, ensuring our hospital partners are well-equipped to manage sepsis patients.
In honor of September being Sepsis Awareness Month, we wanted to share some resources with you to help your community awareness efforts and sepsis treatment initiatives. All of the resources on this page are free for you to download, whether you are a current American Physician Partners client or not. Please join us in eliminating sepsis this September.
Sepsis White Paper
Only 55% of hospitals provide the recommended standard of care to patients with severe sepsis or septic shock. This white paper outlines best practices from successful programs to help you improve your hospital’s overall sepsis outcomes.
This presentation shares the 5 W’s of Sepsis—Who? What? Where? Why? When? Prepared by a board certified emergency physician, this presentation is ready to share at community events.
These can be printed as handouts at events or posted on your website. It provides a quick overview of sepsis facts, symptoms and steps to take if one suspects sepsis.