Under general direction from the Director of Finance, the payroll coordinator performs finance-related tasks and is responsible for all payroll processes in the home office for assigned companies. The payroll coordinator is responsible for monitoring all tasks necessary to accomplish the organization’s payroll processing objectives. This position requires an extremely detail orientated person with significant knowledge of payroll administration, including state and federal regulations.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyzes, prepares and inputs payroll data. Typically uses automated system to produce accurate and timely payroll. Ensures compliance with all applicable state and federal wage and hour laws.
- Prepares weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.) for management.
- Processing for up to 3,000 employees
- Maintains current knowledge of applicable state and federal wage and local taxes
- Stays current on payroll systems to achieve alignment with HR benefits and other related and to ensure effective accounting support.
- Communicate with Management and Accounting regarding Payroll issues as needed.
- Handle employee inquiries and questions to ensure quick and courteous resolution.
- Work with accounting staff to reconcile payroll questions
- Complying with court-ordered Payroll deductions (garnishments), military pay forms, and vacation advance requests.
- Ensures proper payment of special arrangements (severance agreements, terminations, options, spot awards, tax levies, relocation, etc.).
- Provides support for payroll journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Analyzes Payroll system reports; investigates and resolves any unusual items prior to finalizing payroll.
- Reviews and audits information generated by the Payroll system to ensure accuracy.
- Actively seeks and implements improvements to policies and procedures to enhance controls and/or increase effectiveness/efficiency.
- Be open to doing other tasks when not processing payroll, on the Director of Finance lead.
- Organizational Skills
- Time Management
- Financial Management
- Ethical Conduct
- Technical Capacity
- Communication Proficiency
Preferred Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or a related field is preferred but not required to have accounting background
- APA Certified Payroll Professional preferred
- Strong working knowledge of multiple state reporting requirements.
- Three (3) or more years of payroll experience
Work Authorization/Security Clearance:
You must be qualified to work in the United States.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Apply for this Position
Note: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
*INTERNAL CANDIDATES: To be considered for an open position, you must be in good standing (i.e., not on a Performance Improvement Plan) and in your current position for at least six months. You must also meet the minimum requirements for the job and be able to perform the essential functions of the position.