The Director of Hospital Medicine Operations reports up to the Executive Director Hospital Medicine. This role works in a heavily matrixed team with Regional Medical Directors, Regional Vice Presidents and Site Medical Directors.
The Director of HM Operations will work in partnership with program locations and will focus on establishing professional relationships with clinical and leadership hospitalists teams.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Many or all of the following are done under the direction and in collaboration with the Executive Director Hospital Medicine, Regional Vice President, Regional Medical Director and clinical leadership.
- Support APP growth in the market, assist in the establish business development relationships, and execute new contractual agreements with hospital partners.
- Set and manage to performance objectives for hospitalist program(s), in cooperation with our hospital partners wherever appropriate, and in alignment with their goals.
- Support the Regional Vice Presidents and Regional Medial Directors in their development and execution of clinical processes.
- Review content and assist in development for hospital partner scorecards, dashboards, action plans.
- Meet regularly with each Regional Vice President and the Regional Medical Director to review site performance and identify opportunities and barriers.
- Proactively utilize APP and industry knowledge to lead discussions with Regional Vice Presidents and Regional Medical Directors regarding short-term and long-term strategic objectives. Build strong relationships hospital medicine clinical leadership, reporting on and checking in on performance on monthly basis.
- Identify and problem solve day-to-day site operations including matters related to payroll, credentialing, scheduling, human resources, recruiting , etc. with assistance of APP Support Center departments. Assist clinical leadership with executional support in these areas.
- Actively participate in Monthly Operating Reviews, proactively reviewing site financial statements for accuracy and trends to explain financial performance. Identify and understand the impact of variances and enact plans to address variances. Assist in develop and management of annual budgets.
- Assist in the oversight of revenue cycle management for the HM business.
- Assist in the oversight of the HM technology platform. Leads the initiative on setting up new programs, training providers on the systems, manage reporting from the system and assisting in developing policies and pathways.
- Assist in completion of due diligence and site design for new hospital sites. Assist in creation or review for new business proposals and expansion of current business. Understand the financial and operational impacts of program changes. This includes supporting contract negotiations and new site implementations in conjunction with Support Center departments and Regional Leadership teams.
- Assist in new site implementations in conjunction with Support Center departments.
- Appropriate escalation of issue/concerns to Executive Director Hospital Medicine.
- Support Hospital Medicine Tele Medicine implementations and operations.
- Support BPCI-A operations and financial performance
- Business Development: The ability to anticipate the needs of our internal and external partners and be responsive
- Communication: The ability to speak, write, and listen clearly and consistently
- Change Capable: The ability to inspire others to navigate and progress through change by providing vision, the why, and feedback mechanisms.
- Critical Thinking: The ability to be proactive; anticipate needs; ability to make good decisions with incomplete, ambiguous information
- Negotiating: Reach consensus while maintaining positive, sustainable relationships
- Relationship Building and Maintenance: The ability to create and nourish healthy, strong relationships among hospital partners, dyad partners, and APP Support team members at all levels.
- Strategic Thinking: The ability to develop, execute, and rally clinical leadership around data-driven longrange plans
- Team Work: The ability to pull people together into highly effective teams
- Visionary: The ability to create and communicate a compelling picture of the future
- Emotional Quotient: The ability to identify and manage one’s own emotions, as well as the emotions of others, using this information to guide one’s thinking and actions •
- Learning Agility (Curiosity): Seeks out diverse experiences and apply lessons learned to new challenges •
- Self-Starter/Takes Initiative: Independently assesses situations, addresses conflicts and leads action without hesitation •
- Passion: Commitment to achieving high levels of performance continually. Demonstrated personal resilience and enthusiasm for a job well done
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum: Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, healthcare administration or similar field; MBA preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of relevant state and federal healthcare regulations
- Working knowledge of healthcare payment models, physician practice management and revenue cycle
- Knowledge of Hospital Medicine landscape and market forces driving the hospitalist model of care
- Understanding of hospitalist medicine physician recruiting, marketing and compensation issues
- Minimum: 6-8 years’ experience working with healthcare operational management and working knowledge of hospital and healthcare informatics, including quality measures.
- Preferred: 3-4 years’ experience managing a hospital medicine physician group practice
- Experience working in a matrixed environment.
Special Job or Environment Details:
- Indoor office environment at corporate office
- Frequent (18+ trips/year) travel
- Sitting at desk for up to eight hours (w/breaks)
- Working on computer for up to eight hours (w/breaks)
Apply for this Position
Note: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.